Club Accounts

All clubs have an internal account at the CSU which is used to manage their funds. The budget given to your club at the start of the year is put into this internal account, and you will also deposit any revenue you generate from events, projects, and sponsorships into this account. Unused budget funds do not carry over to the next academic year, but other deposited funds generated from external sponsors and events will remain.

Requesting a Budget

Every year, clubs are required to submit a budget proposal so the Clubs Committee can issue club budgets for the year. Clubs must use the budget proposal template provided by the CSU, as budget proposals other formats will not be accepted. Clubs will be notified of their allocated budget at the yearly Club Orientation, an event held in late September or early October that provides training to club execs on how to run a club. Completed budget proposals must be uploaded at the bottom of the club’s registration page on the CSU website before the first day of classes of the Fall semester. Clubs that submit their budget proposals after this deadline may receive a reduced amount and may have to wait longer to receive their budget.

Using Club Funds

The main way to use the money in your club account is to pay for an expense out-of-pocket and then get reimbursed by submitting a requisition form. To be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses, you should fill out a Clubs Requisition Form on a computer, print it and have it signed by your club’s two signing officers, attach the original receipts for all purchases (we will not accept debit or credit receipts)* and attach printed bank statements for all purchases made with debit or credit (you may blank out any personal or other information from these statements), and submit it to the CSU’s Front Desk. You can also indicate on the form whether you would like to pick up the completed cheque at the CSU office or if you would like it mailed to you. After submitting a requisition form, you can expect a delay of approximately 2-3 weeks for it to be processed.

If a given expense is too large to pay out of pocket, you may have the organization or venue send an invoice directly to the CSU. For invoices, you should first come speak to the Internal Affairs Coordinator to ensure that you have enough money in your club budget, and that it is alright for us to accept the invoice. Once you obtain approval, the business or venue that you are dealing with can send an invoice for the expense directly to the CSU as long as it is clearly indicated that the expense is for your club.

*If you have misplaced the original receipts, you may ask to use printed debit or credit bank statements to verify the expenses. For this reason, we recommend that all your club’s transactions be conducted using debit and credit cards instead of cash.

Additional Funding Sources

CSU Special Clubs Funding
Any club may apply for additional funds for a project or event from the Special Clubs Fund. Click here to get more information and access the online application form. Remember, the more detailed and well-researched your budget and funding request are, the more likely you are to receive funding from the Clubs Committee. If you have any questions regarding the application process for Special Clubs Funding, send an email to clubsdirector@csu.qc.ca.
Dean of Students Office
The Dean of Students Office administers a Special Projects Fund through the Concordia Council on Student Life. From their website:

“CCSL makes funds available to support projects that enhance or contribute to the quality of student life at Concordia. Events, projects, or initiatives that enhance student life are ones that seek to positively raise awareness or engage the student body in a social, political, educational, or cultural context. The fund is designed to support innovative and unique activities rather than ongoing expenses of student groups and initiatives.”

Guidelines, application forms, and information about deadlines for the CCSL SPF can be found here. Filled out application forms should be dropped off at the Dean of Students Office (H-637 at SGW, or AD-121 at Loyola).

External Sponsors
If you are hosting an event around the University, there are always stores, hotels, cafes, and restaurants that are looking for ways to advertise to students. Offering them a sponsorship package and free advertisement during your event will encourage these companies to give you money and invest in your club. Please talk to the Internal Affairs Coordinator if you need any help making a sponsorship package.

If you receive a sponsorship, have the sponsor make the cheque out to CSU with the name of your club in the Memo section, then schedule a meeting with the Internal Affairs Coordinator to deposit the cheque in your club’s internal account. The funds will then be available to access by submitting a requisition form with receipts attached.

Faculty Associations
Some Faculty associations, like ASFA, have a Special Projects Fund. For further information, check out the faculty association’s website or contact one of their representatives.

Colleges, Schools, and Departments
For a speaker or event of an academic nature, it is possible to obtain funding through a University department related to the topic of the event. For example, if you are hosting a speaker on an environmental issue, you may consider approaching the Department of Geography for funding. Apply by handing in a plan of your project, including a detailed budget, to the department. Remember, if your project touches on more than one issue, you may be able to apply to more than one department.

Concordia Orientation Initiative (COI)
The Community Orientation Initiative “offers financial assistance to groups within the Concordia community for orientation initiatives aimed at supporting students in their transition to university. These programs welcome new students into the Concordia community by helping them integrate into university life and become more familiar with campus services and resources. Find more information here.

Sustainability Action Fund (SAF)
The Sustainability Action Fund “goes to support projects to develop sustainable infrastructure, urban agriculture, community-building, and education surrounding environmental and community issues, with the goal of inspiring and developing a culture of sustainability at Concordia University.” Click here to find out how to apply.