In Montreal, workers are covered by federal and provincial laws that protect their salaries and well-being. (1) These laws are;
- Canada’s labour Code
- Only applies to employees working for the federal government in all Canadian provinces.
- Outlines the rights federal employees are entitled to (i.e minimum wage, benefits, etc.)
*CNESST is Quebec’s body responsible for overseeing the just application of the laws listed below.*
- Quebec’s act respecting labour standards
- Applies to employees working in the public and private sector in Quebec.
- Outlines the rights of employees working in Quebec (i.e minimum wage, benefits, etc.)
- Quebec’s labour code
- Applies to employees working in Quebec
- Dictates laws surrounding employee unionisation in Quebec
- Pay equity act
- Applies to all companies with 10 or more employees
- Ensures that employees, regardless of their gender, are treated and paid the same when completing the same duties.
- Act Respecting occupational health and safety
- Applies to all employees in Quebec
- This act ensures that employees work in safe environments and that proper safety protocols protect their wellbeing